Tuesday, September 19, 2006

This morning I'm supposed to be proofing our new book of stories by parents of twins, Twice Loved, which we hope to send to the printer next week. I'm half way through the entertaining galleys. There are 220 pages to proof.

This is a sample of how Susan and I work together.

She decided she wanted to publish a book in the "Chicken Soup" genere for parents of twins. We receive dozens of manuscripts from parents who want to be published in our Twins™ Magazine, which has been loved by parents of twins since 1984. Since the magazine is published only six times a year and is too small to have great advertising support, we don't have space for all of the great articles we receive.

Susan found the editor, (if not one of the ediors, of the Chicken Soup series who happens to be a mom of twins. She selected and edited the stories and got their writers' approvals of her editing. Our art director designed and desktop published the book.

I quietly approved and listened to Susan talk on the phone and to our art director about the book. Seems like a good project.

So now I'm involved. I'm the fresh set of eyes, the critic and promoter. In addition to enjoying a good read, I'm finding a few typos and raising a very few questions. I'm also the bottleneck in charge of finding a book printer, hoping we don't have to go to Sinapore to find an affordable printer. I'm trying to gauge the market for the book, which should appeal to more people than our some 40 children's and parenting books, which are published for families and raising twin babies and more.

Finally, I'll promote the book by advertising on Google and Yahoo, and we'll do some PR on the Internet and in the print media.

So that's how we're working together in our 38th year of our childless marriage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home